May and June are considered to be prom season in North America. Prom is a formal black-tie event to celebrate graduation from high school. Usually there is a formal sit-down dinner and dance event involved, therefore young ladies and gentlemen want to look their best! Prom night is a night to celebrate your hard working years throughout high school. It is definitely a night to bond with high school friends and a night to remember.
Some schools have a prom queen or prom king (to be announced on the night of prom) for their grade, while other schools don’t. However, whether you are a prom queen nominee, runner up, prom queen, or not, be sure to follow some of our tips to look fabulous for the night! ^^~
Many young women pick out their prom dress months or even a year in advance before prom night. The most important things to consider when choosing your dress is: Colour, style/fit, and comfort.
- Colour: We all come from different cultures and backgrounds. We all have different skin tones and skin types. Some colours look better on certain skin tones than others and vice versa. However, the main thing about choosing your dress colour is whether or not you feel COMFORTABLE in the colour you chose. If your dress is orange and you dislike the colour orange, or you feel insecure in an orange dress when you put it on, I would advise you to find a dress in another colour you prefer or feel pretty in. Remember, confidence is sexy. Prom night is your night. Feel beautiful in your dress
- Style/fit: We all see photos of models in magazines, advertisements, T.V., the media. There is no escaping it, however, we can’t all have the body of a model. It is important to embrace and love your body shape. The dress you choose should fit you and look good. It doesn’t matter if you are a size 0, 8, or 16, there are dresses for all body types and sizes. Every woman deserves to look beautiful, therefore, choose a dress that is designed for your body shape and a one you feel comfortable in! Sometimes you may have to alter the dress to perfectly fit you
- Comfort: It would be unwise to wear a dress that is too tight for you. Be sure to find one you can wear for an entire day (photos in the daytime, dinner in the evening, and dancing at night). Don’t force yourself to wear a dress too tight or too loose, it will be hard to smile in photos or dance!
The most popular type of shoes to wear to prom for the ladies? Heels. If you are buying a new pair of heels for prom, it’s best if they match with your dress (such as a similar colour or it complements the colour of your dress). Also, ladies, I cannot stress this enough but COMFORT is very important! Make sure you’ve worn the same shoes you will be wearing to prom, by this I mean you have already experienced what it feels like to wear your heels, flats, or whichever type of shoes you will be wearing to prom. You could try walking in your shoes once or twice to make sure you are fine with them. Also, there are many different types of support for your feet available at a drug store if needed
- Ladies going alone or in a group: If you are planning to buy a corsage, buy one with a colour that matches the beading of your dress. Corsages come in white, red, pink, yellow, orange, and light purple. There are many different types of flowers to choose from. A corsage adds a nice finishing touch to your prom outfit
- Ladies with a date: Usually your prom date will buy a corsage, make sure it matches with his!
- How a corsage is worn: You can wear one on your left wrist or your left shoulder. Many ladies prefer to wear it on their wrist so that the pins don’t have to go through delicate fabrics and risk the chance of having their dresses ruined
- If you are going to a salon: Make sure you have your appointment booked at least 3 weeks in advance. Some salons fill up really quickly during the graduation and wedding season. Try to reserve a spot to avoid disappointment. Call a day or two before your appointment day and confirm your appointment and the time. Your make-up artist may apply your make-up according to your dress colour, but you could also give him or her ideas on how you would like your make-up done. You could even show them a picture of your favourite celebrity as a reference. Prom is your day, speak up for yourself! If you’d like to try false eyelashes, then be assertive and ask your make-up artist to help you apply them on for you
- If you are applying your own make-up: Choose whether you would like your eyes to stand out or your lips. If you choose your eyes, go for a smokey eye look and nude lip gloss. If you choose your lips, try a bright colour on your lips and less eye make-up, but remember, never choose both! For foundation, try our Lioele BB Cream, either in Triple the Solution or Beyond the Solution. BB cream will keep your skin looking smooth, flawless, and moisturized!
- Each year, there are many new hairstyles to choose from for prom. Find one that suits the shape of your face and one that you like. There are many hair salons that offer graduation up-do’s or styling. However, if you choose to do your own hair, there are also straightening and curling irons available at many locations and also many hair tutorials on YouTube! You also may consider to wear a fashion wig for a special day!
We hope you enjoyed reading our tips for prom. Please feel free to offer us any suggestions for our tips and stay tuned for more posts in the near future!